Guest Post – Eight reasons to visit Paris in winter
1. Beaujolais Nouveau Celebrations begin at midnight on the third Thursday of every November. The celebrations last until the early morning hours. The year’s vintage is sought by many on this celebration.
2. From November through the end of January, go see the lights of Paris at the Champ Elysees. It is a beautiful sight where lights are strung on trees lining the streets across the city of Paris. Paris decorates the city by putting up 1,000 fresh-cut fir trees. The lower end of the Champs is decorated with 300 of these trees. In addition, Paris’ famous department stores decorate their window displays for the Christmas holiday season.
3. Ice skating in Paris is a must. Paris has several ice skating rinks in the winter months throughout the city. The ice rinks in Paris are very beautiful and festive. The most popular ice skating rink in Paris is located 200 feet above the ground at the Eiffel Tower. Hotel de Ville also has an ice skating rink at the base of the Montparnasse tower.
4. Paris Christmas markets are also a popular attraction. They are open from the end of November through Christmas. You can find great holiday gifts at these Christmas markets.
5. See great Christmas shows and concerts in Paris. Christmas in Paris is very unique. The Christmas shows start in the beginning of December. Parisians consider Le Raveillon (their Christmas Eve dinner) a big event. The meal is after Mass. It includes traditional food like oysters, turkey, un bouche de noel cake and foie gras. After the meal, diners leave their shoes for Santa Claus (Pere Noel in Paris) to fill with treats.
6. Spending New Year’s in Paris is like no other. Parisians celebrate with elaborate dinners including champagne and fireworks. The New Year’s celebrations in Paris are boisterous. In late January, there are great Chinese New Year celebrations around the city.
7. You will find the best sales shopping in the winter in Paris. France only has two sale seasons per year. Winter is one of them. In late January, you can find great deals in many Parisian shops. Especially due to the fact that Parisians rush to move Christmas inventory that wasn’t sold. Inexpensive items can be found at the winter sales.